Perennials in pots in the northern /cold states?

kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)April 21, 2008

Hi All,

I live in s.e.PA. To keep these perenials(Monardas,penstemons ) in pots in our deck(which is on 2nd floor), what kind of pots(How big/wide/deep,PLastic/wood or insulated with 2 layers etc) would you recommend, so that they survive winters?

I dont wanna bring the pots in for winter, since this year I may get bigger pots(20" dia or more)

Is there anyone who has these perennials in pots in the northern states? Pls share!

Thanks...Kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucygreenthumb

Hi Kris,
My first question would be why do you want perennials?

I only ask this because I get a lot of shoppers at the garden center where I work asking for perennials because they don't want to replant flowers every year BUT what most of them don't realize is that perennials have a limited season of bloom - generally spring OR summer OR fall (to simplify) while many annuals bloom frost to frost if deadeaded regularly.

So your situation sounds ideal for experimenting with different hummingbird attracting annuals which you might want to consider as you are right perennials don't survive freezing as well in pots as they do in the ground.

I don't have a specific answer to your question but I do wish you the best of luck with your flowers.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 1:25PM
kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)

Issue is I already have the perenials .Monarda and Penstemon work great with Hummers!

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 4:59PM
bullthistle

You can put them in pots but you'll have to bury them in the fall because they will be freezed dried otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™