What is this thing?

hummersteveApril 27, 2007

Ok I know, this is the wrong forum for it , but I thought you might like to view it and tell me what it is. I have never seen it before. Im guessing its some kind of moth. Has anyone seen this thing before and what is it called.

tried to get this pic of its underside

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracey_nj6(6)

I believe it's a Luna Moth; I've only seen one in my life, in upstate NY. Gorgeous!!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:09PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

looks like a miniature kite to me (the flying kind). I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like ti.

Penny

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:29PM
kristin_williams(6)

Definitely a Luna Moth. Judging by the big feathery antennas, I think it's a male. He uses those to smell out the pheremones of the females, or so I've been told.

I've also only seen one once in my life, many years ago, flying around a light in a parking lot, of all places. They are so gorgeous! You are lucky to have seen one.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 2:40PM
hummersteve

Yes , I just looked it up and it appears luna moth is correct. Although the pic at the site has two dots on its hind wings, other than that its a carbon copy.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 3:32PM
rthummer

Steve, everyone is right it is a Luna Moth and I have seen one in my life. I think they are absolutely beautiful, don't you? Just a "this is why I love nature" kind of thing.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 5:02PM
kristin_williams(6)

Steve, your moth is holding his forewing over the hindwing, hiding the pair of spots on the hindwing. Both pairs of spots are showing on your second picture.

Gardenweb won't let me link to a picture and keeps rejecting my message. This is the address of the picture:

http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/invertebrate/moth/luna_moth/index.html

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 6:41PM
down2earth

Perhaps most of you know that sighting a luna moth is considered rare due to the fact that they are active at night and have a very short life. I saw one once near our sweet gum trees at dusk and I also found the remains of one recently on a very windy day.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 7:21PM
hummersteve

Penny--dont feel bad a lot of people have never seen one of these-- I was walking back from my mailbox when I saw it and stopped dead in my tracks

Tracey and RThummer -- yes this thing is absolutely beautifull

down2earth -- of course all moths are active at night because they are attracted to lights, but you most likely are correct on the short life otherwise more people would have seen them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 10:06PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Lunas don't feed as adults either. They have no mouth. Their sole purpose is to procreate, look beautiful, and that's it. They are indeed gorgeous. It is the silk moth family. There are a lot of beautiful silk moths.

I get lots of sphinx moths, like the hummingbird clearwings - many people mistake them for hummingbirds because they hover at flowers just like the hummers do. These moths do nectar, and if you provide them with a white garden with moonflower, nicotiana, daturas, brugmansias, things like that, you may very well witness one feeding at dawn and early evening. They like the deep-throated flowers because they have a very long probiscus to reach the nectar in the flowers.

Susan

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™