How do you cut back salvia or do you?

mboston_gwApril 16, 2006

I have the red salvia coccinea (not sure of spelling), White Salvia farinacea Mystic blue spires, black and blue, and smaller blue type begins with an "n" I think and another reddish pink type that people here have suggested. When the flowers on the long stalks are about gone, do you cut them back or leave them?

I have lots of hummingbird plants, red pentas, cigar plant,the salvias, and lots of other butterfly plants but I can't get the hummers to stay. I see one in the spring and fall and that's it. Even have two feeders out but no luck. I really thought with all the Salvia, I would have more this year. Also have coral honeysuckle. Am waiting to get firecracker and firespike cuttings soon. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mboston_gw

Also have Pineapple sage and some type of red bee balm, impatiens, porterweed.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 5:35PM
claire_de_luna(z5)

I usually cut them back in my garden, so the plant spends energy making more flowers rather than trying to produce seed.

Are there other people in your area that can get hummingbirds to stay? It seems to me they would have to answer their migratory call and move on. I know when I lived in CA I had hummers 9 months out of the year, but they always disappeared for three months. Now I know how spoiled I was to have them as long gas I did!

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 10:00AM
mboston_gw

Not that I know of. A friend on the other side of town has them routinely. I must just get the same one passing through early on in the migration and then when he comes back through in the fall. Guess I will just keep trying!

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 3:53PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I dead headed Salvia Black and Blue although it is mostly self cleaning. It bloomed continuosly until frost. Once they found it, it became the most visited plant, even though it was on the porch in a pot.

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 9:58AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Do you also have trees close by for shelter and maybe some sort of water feature? Even if you don't have a water feature you can add a nozzle that has a misting setting to your garden hose. I use one of those to water my plants. I stake it so i don't have to hold it and the hummers will come and bathe on the wet leaves or fly through the mist. I also have several tree on my property and the surrounding area.

Penny

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™