Look what I found...

Linda's Garden z6 UtahMay 25, 2014

I have had Francee for close to 20 yrs now and last year one eye came up streaky. I left it alone and now this year it has 2 eyes like that. It was on the edge of the plant so this morning I separated it from the main plant.

I hope this is a sport and not a disease. What do you all think? I have never had a plant do this before but I like it!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gesila(MI Z5)

Awesome, it looks like a sport to me. I love the colors on it and you did a great job separating it.

The colors in it a very similar to my Patriot that sported. Of course, Francee is Patriot's ggggg grand parent, or something like that.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 9:57AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i dont see any disease ...

put some masking tape around the petioles.. just under the huge leaf tops.. and leave it there.. until it falls off ...

and cut the one off.. that is already cracked... leave the celery stalk ...

ken

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:13AM
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

Thanks Ken, I will get the tape out right away. I tried really hard not to crack any of the stems but one got broke anyway.

Linda

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:49AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Very nice, we'd all love to find a sport like that one.

Paul

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 11:31AM
don_in_colorado

Nice sport, hope it does well for you. Just one more reason to love your Francee. ; )

Don B.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:47PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

I have a streaked sport of Francee, as well. There is one other member that has a streaked sport of Francee, but hers darkens up and turns into a Francee look-alike later in the season. Here's mine:

I actually got two different sports off of the same plant. Here's the other sport of Francee:

There's a lot of white on this one, so I'm not holding my breath on it making it into another season, but we shall see.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 3:08PM
Linda's Garden z6 Utah

Thanks everyone! I am hoping it grows into a nice plant. I know it kept it's color last year, so I assume it will this year too.

Funn- I love the 1st picture you posted! It's interesting to see how many different sports this plant can have. Keep us posted on how that one grows.

LInda

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
hostanista
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™