Suggestions for hummingbird feeder

Poodle_Mom(US 7/8)April 4, 2013

Anybody have suggestions for hummingbird feeders that don't attract wasps? The hummers love to vist my purple petunias I put out every year and I used to have a couple of feeders for them but the feeders attracted the wasps horribly!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eric580

Try a hummzinger. I had a wasp problem too and it was quickly eliminated. If you discover the wasps drinking from the ant moat just fill it with soapy water. It will poison them without harming the hummers. Great feeder!! Here's pic from my garden. It is the hummzinger little fancy.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:07PM
hummersteve

Erik

I like the fact you were able to get robin in the photo also.

I too suggest a hummzinger as the answer to a wasp problem. I have the excel hummzinger.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:21PM
Eric580

Thanks hummersteve :) I like your hummingbird pictures they are so funny! I like the robin too.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:07PM
Lauren g(7)

I only use "Par-a-sol" brand anymore. I personally don't like the way the plastic looks in my gardens.

Parasol makes quite a few different styles, but I have a couple of the type pictured. I have had bees and wasps investigate, but quickly give up on the endeavor. I have read somewhere that a bee got into the glass flower, but they also sell "bee-proof" replacements that have a much smaller diameter to prevent that.

The top on the kind I have is the perfect size to get in and give it a good scrub, there's no places for bacteria to hide, etc. It is not ideal for high wind areas because it just sits on top to close, but I hang mine off of my deck and it really does take HIGH wind because of the weight for this to be a concern, in my opinion.

This post was edited by lkg1323 on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:57

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™