cloudy feeder?

donnas_gw(7)April 16, 2008

Did someone say that hummingbirds will not feed from a cloudy feeder? I've had this one feeder for several years now, and the clear plastic part that holds the nectar isn't clear any longer. It's like the sun has faded it over the summers. Am I wasting my time with this one, or is there something I can use to clean it that would make it clear again? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birding_nut(6)

IT is not that the feeder container itself is cloudy, but if the solution gets cloudy. That usually indicates mold or that the solution is going bad. I can't imagine that the feeder container being cloudy would have any effect. They aren't attracted to the sight of the liquid, but red on the feeder.

BN

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 6:58PM
hummersteve

I would try a little vinegar or bleach and rinse it out well. If that doesnt take it off, I would get another feeder.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 9:19PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

The feeder itself being cloudy doesn't bother my hummers at all.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 3:50AM
dominidan

That's very interesting. I have another feeder question and wanted some feed back on this idea. I have a typical glass feeder with the four stations and yellow wasp guards. When I get any kind of wind, the feeder drips. I was thinking of putting a small drop of glue at the tip of each feeder, on the lower rim, to narrow the hole, so that the dripping will stop. The wasps are having a picnic and I thought this would change the height of the nectar. I don't want to poison the hummers or make the opening too narrow that it creates a problem. What do you pros think of this idea?

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 8:31AM
ctnchpr

dominidan, If the opening in your glass feeder is around 1" in diameter, you can lower the nectar level by inserting a tight fitting plastic tube and trimming it so it protrudes anywhere from 1/8" to 3/8", depending on how much you want to lower the level.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 12:58AM
dominidan

Thank you so much for answering, ctnchpr. The hummers haven't arrived yet and I figure I have time to play around with this feeder. I tried narrowing the smaller holes, where the flowers attach, with non toxic glue. It was still dripping a bit. Nice to talk to the professionals. Thanks again.
dan

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™