Cocktail sauce recipe request

sautesmomOctober 14, 2010

My local gourmet store has the most wonderful cocktail sauce, but it's over $4.00 for an 8 ounce jar. While we still have tomatoes, I thought I might try to copy it, and was wondering if anyone has a recipe with similar ingredients. The label lists the following:

Water

Tomato Paste

Sugar

Distilled Vinegar

Salt

Watermelon Rind pickles

Horseradish

Cabbage

Celery

Onions

Spices

Thanks for any ideas!

Carla in Sac

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Well - first you make some watermelon rind pickles --- it should get easier after that.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:16AM
macybaby

I've made the one in the Ball complete book. I like it way better than anything I've bought. I actually didn't like cocktail sauce until I made this.

Does not have the watermelon, cabbage or celery. I also substituted prepared horseradish as I could not any good raw stuff locally.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 11:50AM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Sometimes a company will put a tiny pinch of something into a recipe to make that product look unique.

If pickles, cabbage, etc is listed below salt on the ingredients, they merely waved a piece of it over the vat; just enough to say that it is in there.

Cocktail sauce is basically a "chili sauce" (chunky ketchup recipe) with horse radish added. The "spices" is probably just turmeric, and maybe some white pepper.

The water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, and spice is merely the recipe for ketchup. Add horseradish, and you've got cocktail sauce. Wave some cabbage over it if it makes you feel better.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 2:52PM
macybaby

that is a good point about paying attention to the order of ingredients on purchased food since they are listed from most to least.

However I wonder if that list is the actual order. If there is more salt than horseradish, I don't know if it would be edible!

The ball book Has 2 tbsp salt to 3 cups grated horseradish. I added about a half cup of prepared horseradish and cut the salt in half (DH has blood pressure issues).

But maybe it does have more salt than horseradish - another big reason to make your own!!!!

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 3:58PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Can you provide a brand name for this product? Is "Cocktail Sauce" exactly what it's called or is that how you've identified it?

If we can look it up by brand we might be able to determine more by looking at the label and ingredients list in case the order you provided is different.

As far as the watermelon pickles are concerned, that's definitely an attention-getter, but it's likely in a strongly flavored sauce that any good traditional sweet pickle would be suitable.

Carol

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™