Method for ripening green tomatoes

bananastandOctober 7, 2013

My co-worker just recommended this method of getting green tomatoes to ripen after picking to me and I'm curious if any of you can confirm whether this works.

She said to wrap each fruit individually in newspaper and set in a single layer on a countertop. She said they'll keep that way for months and will slowly ripen on their own.

Sounds too good to be true!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No it's been around since pioneer days and works, for the most part. Some will rot and some won't ripen but the majority will. The main problem is all the wrapping and unwrapping and re-wrapping to check them every few days. No big deal if you only have 15-20 fruit. Another issue if you have 100+ fruit.

Various methods come up regularly over on the Growing Tomatoes forum and range from the paper-bag-with-a-ripe apple (basically ethylene gas ripening), the method you describe, and the pull-up-and-hang-the-plant-upside down-from-the-rafters method.

That last one is what works best for us since we usually have 50+ plants with fruit on them and the big barn rafters to use. Basement or garage rafters also work just not as convenient.

And of course you can always leave the plants in the garden but cover them well until the fruit hit color break and then pick them.

Dave

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™