Attracting Hummingbirds in an urban setting?

nova_noviceApril 26, 2010

We moved last fall to a rowhouse/townhouse condo in downtown DC. The community has a very suburban feel to it (open garden spaces and lots of trees around the community). We don't have an individual yard but our front door opens to a shared garden / patio that the community has newly landscaped. (Hopefully, in the future I can be on the landscape commitee -- but that may take awhile)

I thought I would try to attract hummingbirds by some container planting on our front stoop. I ordered salvia (black & blue) and bee balm (jacob cline), because I want some color on our front patio, and I heard that they are good draw hummingbirds.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, trying to draw hummingbirds in a urban area? Is it even possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevec_2007(6)

Nova, I did a ton of research on plants for hummingbirds and you have selected two of the absolute best. I was just in DC two weeks ago for the first time and to me, the city seemed to have much more green space than most. I'd guess this means there are plenty of HB's around.
If possible you should also put up a feeder as this may attract them before your plants bloom. I recommend First Nature feeders. They are not as attractive as some of the "designer" feeders, but they are safer, easier to clean, cheap, and the birds seem to prefer them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:23AM
beaniebeagle

dont waste your time with the expensive feeders

i have a few "designer" feeders, Guess where they are, in the basement. I never saw one feeding from them. They always liked the cheaper feeders. Today one stayed on the First Nature feeder for an extended time

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 2:20PM
hummersteve

I have to agree with Stevec you have selected two of the very best.

There is a person on this forum who lives in high rise in Pa and she just has a balcony and yet lures her share of hummers so I think most any setting can bring in hummers if done right.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:17PM
rob_a(9)

Nova,
You're dead on target with your plants. And yes Hummers are in our cities. I've three feeders on a third floor balcony and lots of hummer visitors here. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 10:22PM
GawdinFever(z5b/St. Louis, MO)

Cheap feeders ARE the best! I threw my others away. One more flower to consider...Coral Nymph Salvia. After seeing how much they loved it the first time, it's a staple in my garden!

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 11:45PM
daddydon5(7)

I live in Bethesda, MD, about a half mile "inside the beltway", which I would consider very close in suburban/urban. I have no trouble attracting hummers, but it does take much patience at first. I have still not seen my annual visitors, but they usually arrive between now and Mother's Day. I find Four O'Clock flowers attract hummers. These annuals can be grown in pots and are of the tubular shape that hummers prefer.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 1:41PM
ctnchpr

Great photos, gawdinfever!!!

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™