FEEDERS - Good or Bad??

dirtface(soCal)April 19, 2010

It was suggested to me that hummingbird feeders are like giving candy to children. I know that they are actually eat insects, but what is the real effect of us humans giving them a supply of sugar water to indulge in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Not true its not the same. Hummers need energy to go get the insects. So whether they get it from flowers or feeders they still need the sugar. The nectar from flowers is basically sucrose. So you can look at it this way we are helping them have quick energy to go find the protein. So the person who doesnt want to put out feeders but give them flowers , they are still giving them sugar. I read once that a hummer has to visit 1000 flowers a day just to survive so if I help them a little by giving them sugar water, fine and dandy.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 11:01PM
donald lucius(4)

here we get frosts or even hard freezes up till mid may most years. there a few insects or flowers for the hummers till mid to late may. so they need the feeders

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 12:27PM
oldman-2010

Can liquid feeders be near seed feeders?

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:23AM
donald lucius(4)

i have two hummingbird feeders and one oriole feeder along with a tube seed feeder and a wire cage feeder on a long horizontal branch about 6 foot from my kitchen window.
just a few minutes ago i had three different hummingbirds at the feeders and at the same time a pair of finches at the tube feeder and a grosbeak on the oriole feeder all at the same time. its a little early here yet for orioles but in the next couple weeks there shoud be a lot more birds
showing up and they mostly share nice.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:20PM
laurmela

I have feeders and I try to plant plants that hummers will feed from as well. Remember we have destroyed a lot of their food source by building, so this is just giving back!

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 2:52PM
GawdinFever(z5b/St. Louis, MO)

You 'can' put them together or close, but I have found that I have many more hummers if I separate them. I now put my hummer feeders in the midst of my hummer garden.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™