Largest Green and White Hosta?

SeandkatMay 18, 2012

Hi I love the hostas with white on them and I'm wondering what the largest ones are?

Thank you all for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davej_07(z5 WI)

Any of the white edged Sum and Substance sports.
Dave

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:49AM
bkay2000

I believe that the largest white edged green hosta that is widely available is Victory. There are some larger ones, but they aren't in production, as I understand it.

bkay

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:09AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

To illustrate that, I have Winter Snow, a sport of S & S, with a fairly narrow white margin and a light green or chartreuse leaf. This is what it looks like in its second year:

A question though:
How white do you require? I think Sagae has a creamy border and it is a fantastic big guy, but whether you think it is a light enough margin is up to you to say. Look for it because I do not have a Sagae--yet. :)

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:11AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I have Victory in 3 pots now, wish I'd planted them all in one. A really smooth plant in its first year with me.
Here is the 2-eye pot:

and one of the 1-eye pots with a medium-sized quick growing fragrant Iron Gate Delight (white margins) in the background.

I recently won this plant on HL Auction from the breeder, Stuart Asch, and it might wind up being a big dude. Sure is looking fine: Nathan's Nirvana

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:20AM
davej_07(z5 WI)

It also depends on your idea of big. Frosted Jade makes a nice large leaf with a rippled edge.
Dave

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:31PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

It's probably Victory. It emerges yellow and then goes to cream and then white. The pic below was taken at the end of June.

Steve

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:01PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Well antioch is a pretty big showy white edged hosta for me....but looking at pictures it's not as white as mine.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:08PM
frostynyc(7)

Any large ones that emerge white, not cream or yellow?

I have a green/white section, and I think the creams clash with the whites. (Even though the creams eventually turn white)

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:45PM
hostaLes(5)

Parhelion may not be the biggest but it is big. Mine is pictured two years in my Theresa's Angel Garden under a black walnut tree. This progeny of S&S is growing like crazy. That is a mature silver maple treein front of it.

psst: that's a lie, it is just a seedling. See the 6" ruler?

Les

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 6:42PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Gee, Les, Parhelion looks a lot like Winter Snow, another S&S progeny. They both have a very fresh look to them. I'll concede that Parhelion is much bigger than the Winter Snow I have.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:15PM
hostaLes(5)

Time will tell. "My Hosta Base" in HL has Winter Snow rated as VL and Parheliion as L. Regardless, they both are a striking light green with white margins and good substance. I like them better than my S&S.
I was down on G/W variegated hostas for a while, but within the past year have added Dianna Remembered, Liberty, El Nino and Sweet Innocence, and would like Victory. My 3 year old Fragrant Bouquet is stepping out and developing wider white margins this year and Regal Splender shows promiss. But if any of these get really large it will be a surprise.

Les

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:34PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

My Parhelion is the largest green and white I have. My Sagae is bigger,but the edges stay yellow-to cream,not white. Excuse the hail holes,please. Phil

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:49PM
roblksd

Spartan Glory is a nice fast growing large one, I also like His Honor. Many of the Sum and Substance sports are nice but also not that different from one another. Rob

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
We have bullets n numbers!
I love this feature! These will come in handy...especially...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Zinc plant markers
Is this what everyone is using? I saw 100 for sale...
CindyCRNA
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™