traffic (car/road/street) scare off birds?

vivid_dawnApril 21, 2008

I am new to hummingbird watching. I will have a couple feeders hanging at my patio, but I also wanted to plant some Trumpet vine and Bird of Paradise along the fence. However, the fence is against a street that gets quite a bit of traffic. I wonder if all the cars going by will scare the birds?

I also wanted a windchime at the patio, but figured that noise might scare them. However, upon doing some research, there were several sites that mentioned hummingbirds making nests ON the chime...so I guess the noise doesn't bother them that much?

One site did mention that it was recommended to keep the garden in a quiet place, but all other searches have turned up empty. This is the only place the flower bed is at, and I can't dig up anywhere else in the yard to start a new one (I'm renting the property).

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltlhbgrl

I have wind chimes hung between my feeders on the eaves on the back of our house and they sit on top of them to guard their feeders. The noise doesn't bother them at all!! (They make enough noise themselves when they start chattering that they probably don't even hear the chimes!) We live far enough from the road that I don't know about traffic and how they feel about it. I would guess if it bothers them, they just won't feed in that area and would stick with places they feel comfortable.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™