Parsley Persillade--refrigerator safe for 6 months?

pqtexOctober 30, 2012

A friend sent me this recipe from a permaculture website for making persillade from parsley. It mixes chopped parsley, lemon juice, garlic, and oil and is stored in the refrigerator. Nuts or parmesan cheese can be added, making this sort of a parsley pesto. This is not a canning recipe and I would not be canning it.

According to the recipe, it will keep 6 months in the refrigerator. I've made similar toppings for baked fish, but I've always done this fresh from scratch whenever I needed it. This seems quick and easy to have it on hand in the refrigerator, but I don't have any experience with this. Six months seems like a long time and I don't know how the parsley would hold up--flavor and color.

Any suggestions or input?

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsley persillade recipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Anyone who says the oil protects the parsley from the air so that bacteria do not breed is immediately suspect.

I don't know that the juice of 1/2 a lemon is sufficient to acidify 10 garlic cloves in oil, not to mention the parsley, but I suspect not.

Personally I'd freeze it just like pesto. It should keep beautifully (better than the fridge over the long term) with an additional peace-of-mind bonus.

Carol

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with all Carol said. Apparently they have never heard of anaerobic bacteria like c. botulinum. Indeed some of the most health risky bacteria thrive in a sealed-off-from-air environments. And even IF it was acidified enough 3 months would still be the recommended limit.

But pesto freezes exceptionally well - either on a cookie sheet and you can then break off pieces to use or in ice cube trays and then the cubes tossed into a zip lock bag and used as needed.

Dave

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
True "Daylight Savings"
Crankshaft comic Strip for Sunday, March 08, 2015 I...
berrybusy
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
Sponsored Products
Ringlets 6 Light Drum Pendant by George Kovacs
$1,390.00 | Lumens
Sonneman Connetix 23" Wide LED Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
"Casilla" Planter
$495.00 | Horchow
Lucerne Ruffled Bedskirt
$375.00 | FRONTGATE
30" Kichler Canfield Brushed Nick Indoor Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus