Clover Cover Crop / Clover Lawn

jason83(Zone 8b/9a (North Florida))November 8, 2012

I'm attempting to establish a stand of Crimson Clover. Apparently the autumn (around now) is the best time to plant it here in Northeast Florida, but it's not looking like we'll be getting much rainfall for a while...in fact, we didn't have much at all this entire year. I attribute that (along with our barren sandy soil) as the reasons why I couldn't get the White Dutch clover to grow. From my research, it looks like Crimson Clover can handle the sandy soil pretty good.

I haven't given up on the idea yet, and of course I'm hopeful, but do you think it's okay to go ahead and drop the seeds down? Could the lack of production/sprouting be because I'm simply broadcasting the seed? Or should I be using a drill and planting it into the soil to a certain depth? Is it not getting enough water?

Since I'm trying to get the Crimson Clover to cover a large area (about an acre), irrigation will be difficult, but not impossible, I guess... Can anyone share their experience or offer some pointers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

I have a patch of white clover in my yard that I planted about 25 years ago. The soil is sandy. I don't remember the details of the planting, but I do remember that I broadcast the seeds by hand and lightly raked them in with a leaf rake. This clover is very well established and is the dominant plant in an area of about 300 SF.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:27PM
jason83(Zone 8b/9a (North Florida))

Hi Shuffles! Great to hear that someone in FL has been successful with the white clover! I've not been so lucky with it, but certainly won't be giving up. I find it far superior to grass, don't you?

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 6:50PM
shuffles_gw

jason, yes I really like the clover. I forgot to mention that when I planted the clover, I used the back of a leaf rake to cover the seed. Next time it blooms, I plan to post a photo here.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:19PM

You wouldn't happen to know what kind of white clover, would you? Dutch White, Ladino type, etc? Look forward to seeing the photo :)

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 3:28PM
shuffles_gw

jason,

I am pretty sure it is the Ladino type. The bloom photo won't be for months.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:57AM

I wonder if that's why I'm having trouble...I was going for the shorter varieties like white dutch, new zealand, etc. I suppose if Ladino works for you it should work for me...sounds like you've got the same soil.

Thank you again Shuffles! :)

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™