Canning kraut

joy_unspeakable(7NC)October 15, 2012

I am canning kraut today and have a few questions for the experts.

Kraut has been fermenting for a little over two weeks in huge pickle jars. Tastes great! I followed the raw pack method. When I packed the jars - I had to add a lot of extra (new) brine. While fermenting, everything was covered with juices, but had to add almost 2 additional quarts of new brine to 8 pints of kraut to get enough headspace. Does that sound right? Seems like I might have diluted something a bit too much?

I have another huge jar that I'm going to let go a few more days. That can stay in the fridge for up to three months with no processing, correct?

Thanks for your help!

~ Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

That does sound like a fair amount of of new brine for just 8 pints. I would guess that you drained off all the old brine first and then packed the jars loosely? Maybe a bit too loosely? Note the instructions read: fill jars rather firmly with kraut and juices, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Either way it is safe as the cabbage is already fermented and you are basically just processing to create the vacuum.

I don't know how much you began with weight wise so can't tell how many pints you should end up with but had it been packed into say 6 pints you'd need much less new brine.

Dave

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 4:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joy_unspeakable(7NC)

Thanks Dave! As long as its not a safety issue, that was my main concern. I didn't drain it. I fermented in a gallon glass pickle jar, and it remained under the brine while fermenting. After I dumped it into a big pot, it just didn't have much juice. I didn't firmly pack the jars though.

As a side note. I had a second gallon jar fermenting also. Prepared the same day as this batch, under the same conditions. I canned the first batch on Monday and let the second jar go til today. When I dumped the kraut into a pot today, it had a horrible rotten smell - I threw it out. I wonder why this batch went bad? Could the two extra days make a difference (the temp has been 70 or below)?

Thanks for your help.
~ Tracy

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™