Hummingbird Nesting Platforms -- Do they work?

clumsygrdnerMay 13, 2007

After observing a female hummer critically eyeing a hanging pot, Mom asked if she might like to nest there. I thought not, but I got curious about artificial nest sites for hummingbirds. I did a google search that saw that people have made them in the case of Black-chinned hummers and there are some for purchasae. I get strictly ruby throats, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with an artificial nest site.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I believe in the majority of cases the artificial nesting platforms are unsuccessful. Hummers have been know to nest in unusual areas but of their own choosing.

Penny

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 7:30AM
dakster(z6 Cent.CT)

Yeah.. I bought that Duncraft one for my mother like 4 yrs ago..they never used it.. didn't even go to it for the nesting materials. :(

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 9:21AM
clumsygrdner

Okay. Thanks for your replies.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 7:21PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

If you did have one of those nesting thingies, were to put it? It seems like they are for under porches or such but I thought hummers nested in trees. We only have ruby throats here.

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 5:43PM

Well, I could help myself. I bought the nesting platforms. They come two in a box and by reading the directions I have learned alot.

First thing they said was that the mother hummer always starts two nests. Then she decides on the one she wants to commit too and finishes and uses that. Therefore put up two of the platforms.

Key to success, according to directions, is to place them out of the wind. This was stressed as being most important. Windy locations would be ignored. Under the eves and in a corner, therefore out of the wind, was the suggested spot. Now, I was going to put this in a different location altogether until I read the directions. So I looked around and I have three perfect spots for the nests and two other spots I am thinking on.

It said quite plainly that they have had nesting success with Ruby Throated, which is all we get here and a bunch of others.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 4:38PM

Those Hummer nesting platforms came and I put them up. If I have any sucess, I will be sure to let you all know.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 6:58PM
clumsygrdner

Awesome! I'm eagerly awaiting your results! :)

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 1:04AM
hbwright(z7bSC)

My mother always got the nest her crepe myrtles, without fail. I never have. Of course now she feeds them too, but previoisly she never did. I'd always get jealous because I tried so hard and she never did a thing.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 12:36PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

Neat! The only couple of hummer nests I have ever noticed were in the center of a cedar tree. In fact, that cedar tree is only allowed to remain for the hummers. I imagine the thick cedar tree foliage reduces wind exposure and it would be very difficult for any predator to climb into it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Pentas
Do Pentas attract hummingbirds? Im thinking about adding...
arkpollinator
Anyone else watching the map daily? :)
I'm beyond excited to spot some spring migrants. So...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Ants all over hummingbird feeder
New to N Calif, have many hummingbirds nesting in our...
mary11
Sponsored Products
Polar Two-Light Bath Fixture with Recycled Steel and Glass
$139.00 | Bellacor
96 Inch Villa Round Table & Chair Cover
$29.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Elektran Padded Fabric Accent Chair - IDF-AC6121W
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Rondo Suspension by Zaneen
$773.28 | Lumens
Bristol Bay Chandelier by Troy Lighting
$722.00 | Lumens