Canning oranges

kikistreehouseOctober 31, 2011

Hello. I had a friend give me several bags of oranges , She got a good deal on at the local store. So I was thinking of canning in a light syrup. Do I do same as the "Blue Book" on canning grapefruit.And another question She said she was going to add a clove to her jars. Is this safe . You have helped me in the past. Iam very Thankfull to all of you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Yes, use the same recipe and adding cloves is fine, too.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 4:14PM
kikistreehouse

Thank you, Linda

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 4:21PM
tracydr(9b)

Sounds yummy. I'm hoping to find some little tangerines to make "mandarin oranges" this winter, do you need to remove the membrane around the slices?

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 4:37PM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

My experience with trying to BWB citrus wasn't too successful - it radically changed the taste of the citrus.

However, I freeze a lot of mandarin type oranges - which are abundant at this time - until February. It is a bit of a task to remove all of the little membrane strings, and sectioning, but prepared that way are quite delightful.

I use the cup-sized freezer containers, pack the sections, covering with a light simple syrup, with a plastic baggie placed on top to keep the sections under the liquid.

They are great for making holiday fruit salads when prepared that way. When I tried a BWB - heat processing - it altered their flavor and made them soft.

I've been meaning to try orange sections the same way - as the Valencia oranges are tasty during summer and much sweeter than winter, and preserving them at that time would be better. But again, I've not tried freezing oranges - only mandarin, but processing oranges and grapefruit with BWB was disappointing.

Bejay

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Link below is to the instructions on how to can citrus fruits but I agree with Bejay on the flavor change and we gave up doing it after several different tries. I'd suggest you fist try just a couple of jars and see if you like the taste before jumping in with both feet. :)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning citrus

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:55PM
pixie_lou

I tried canning clementines 2 winters ago. Pretty much just sectioned the clementines, removed as much of the white strings as possible, but left the membranes on. Canned them in a light syrup. Considering that I have 2 or 3 jars still left - I only did 7 jars total - I would say it is not a favorite in our house.

I do make the honey crimson grapefruit - recipe in the Ball Book. And we love that. I've noticed a recipe for honey oranges - have made a mental note to possible try that this year.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 11:39PM
tracydr(9b)

Thanks, everyone. Now that I have a big freezer, I'll just try freezing them instead. I can get really cheap citrus, often free, in winter around here. I only have lemon trees but there are orange, grapefruit and tangerine trees all over the neighborhood.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 11:04AM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

My citrus does well also. I'm presently in the middle of making lime juice wine. This is my 2nd batch, and I think I'm finally beginning to work out the problems. Citrus wines are rather acidic - but actually when I tasted this now - nearly finished batch, it tasted pretty much like the last "Refreshing White" box wine that I purchased awhile ago.

Don't know how lemon or orange wine would be - but have seen a few recipes for orange - but it involved the use of vodka - for the alcohol content, a few ideas for liquer are available also.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Canning lard
After much research I read that pure, rendered lard...
lana_lang
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™