Small batch of okra pickles?

tracydr(9b)October 18, 2010

I only have a small amount of okra. Maybe enough to do a pint of pickles? I'd like to just mix up some brine and put it in the fridge. What would you suggest? Should I heat the brine? What amount of vinegar? Should I use a little pickle crisp? Dill? Garlic?

I've been waiting all season and for some reason just never got more than a piece of okra at a time so I've just been munching on them raw. Finally got about eight pieces all at once.

Next year I'm planting a bunch of okra so that i have pickles coming out my ears!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Why not just use the recipe for Pickled Dill Okra and just cup the brine recipe by thirds or even quarters?

Otherwise you can use any approved brine recipe - bread n' butter, sweet, or 1:1 vinegar to water and any dried spices you prefer.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Dilled Okra - NCHFP

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 2:45PM
tracydr(9b)

If I refrigerate it do I assume I need to heat the brine but dont process the jar,correct? Or, maybe I should process, since it needs to sit for a couple of weeks to get the flavor?
This will be only the second time I've made pickles of any kind. I made watermelon rind pickles this summer. They were a pretty large batch so I processed them in the traditional way.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 2:53PM

If you are keeping it in the fridge continuously then you probably don't need to process but I still would. Couple of reasons: 1) the vacuum created will help draw the brine into the vegetables, and 2) in case they get shoved to the back and over-looked for a bit they will still be safe. ;) As a very general guide, processing is always better than not processing.

Either way, yes you need to heat the brine first.

Enjoy them!

Dave

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 3:33PM
tracydr(9b)

Thanks Dave! Will do this afternoon when I finish picking! White or cider vinegar better?

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 3:54PM

White or cider vinegar better?

That is a matter of taste and your choice. Cider is a mellow, softer flavor while white is sharp with a bite. My personal preference in most everything is cider vinegar. But some don't care for the brine color that results from using cider vinegar. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 6:32PM
kayskats

My complaint with okra pickles is that with processing they get slimy and I don't do slimy pickles.

I'm tempted to try a jar packed cold, hot brine, closed with plastic cap and refrigerated. Probably shouldn't eat them for 3 or 4 weeks. Also wonder what kind of a shelf life they'd have kept in the fridge.

Thanks goodness I found a commerical brand that is almost crisp enuf for me. They must use pickle crisp.

k

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 9:02PM
tracydr(9b)

Ate a pod last night. Unbelievably good! Brine was white vinegar and water, a bit of salt. Added some dill and and pickling spice, a garlic clove. No sugar. One very hot red pepper of no known name. 1/4 tsp pickle crisp in the pint.
They were very loosely pack raw with boiling brine and the next day I added a couple more pods when they were ready.
Next year I am filling up the sunnier garden with okra and protecting it from bunnies!
Man I wish I had more!

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 10:56AM
kayskats

did you process or refrigerate?

k

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 11:12AM
tracydr(9b)

I refrigerated. They will be gone by the end of the week. Just enough time to let them pickle.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
Sponsored Products
Etched Stainless Steel Tabletop Torch - Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
LED Rainforest Horizontal Waterfall Outdoor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Eclipse Custom Bathroom Pedestal Vanity - Floating Blue Vetrazzo
Modern Bathroom
Holiday Snowflake - Set of 2
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Pilke Pendant
Lightology