Firebush

kevabear(9)May 3, 2010

Hello, I have been searching our area for a firebush. I have heard they are a great plant for attracting hummingbirds and butterflies. So far I have had no luck. I've checked ebay, but can find only seeds. Wondering if they can be started from a cutting, and if so, does anyone here have any available. I of course would be willing to pay for it.

And since you're here....What other types of plants attract humming birds?

Thanks, Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmebrady

How about trumpet vine?? The hummers LOVE my delphinium. I'm in search of Red Caroline, but I'm not sure I want to pay $30 for one plant.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 3:18PM
jovy1097(8B)

In zone 9 there are quite a few hummer attractors. Lantana, cardinal climbers, larkspur (in the cool season), Mexican cigar plant, about every kind of salvia except salvia splendens varieties, cardinal flower (in moist, shady spot), crocosmia, butterfly bush (buddleia), beebalm, and that's just to name a few.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 6:22PM
kevabear(9)

Wow, Thank you so much! Have written all those down and am planning a trip to our local nursery today! I can almost feel that dirt under my fingernails as we speak!
Lauri

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 7:19AM
luvtoogarden

I don't know where in zone 9 you are, but there are lot's of great places to find hummingbird and butterfly plants. I found some firebush at Lowe's today. Some of the plants that I have been seeing my hummingbirds go to are: mexican sage, powderpuff, bottlebrush tree, candy corn, cigar plant, salvia. I have only seen them so far at my flowers, none at my feeders. I hope you have great luck!
Tarilyn

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 5:46PM
ritaweeda

I've seen Firebush at Lowes. We have lots of hummingbirds here in Brooksville. The plants we have to attract them are: Red Salvia, Coral Honeysuckle, Coral Vine, Bleeding Heart, Texas Sage, Bottlebrush, Lantana, Firecracker Plant, Zinnias, Mexican Petunia, Blue Lilly of the Nile. I stopped using the store-bought nectar feeders, too many ants, wasps, bees, heat. A lot of these same plants also attract butterflies.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™