Hummer and A Half

susanlynne48(OKC7a)May 19, 2010

Day before yesterday, I was sitting outside looking at my poor, damaged garden, feeling somewhat depressed at all the havoc played by the golf ball to baseball size hail we got Sunday night. Had been putting up feeders since April, but no hummers to date, when up flew a gorgeous little female Ruby Throat. She looked at the feeder, but bypassed it for the remaining few blooms on the honeysuckle flava. Don't blame her, I had been lax about filling them with fresh nectar, having not seen any. I just thought it would be another year that I would not see any until late July or August.

I immediately went inside to make fresh sugar water, but waited until yesterday morning to clean and refill the feeders.

It wasn't long before she appeared and was happily sipping the fresh nectar! It lifted my spirits with renewed hope that everything was going to work out fine.

A bit later, one of my favorite hummingbird moths appeared to nectar on the banana in the suet feeder. A beautiful little Nessus sphinx. These are just a bit larger than the Snowberry Clearwings, reddish-brown in color, with two vivid yellow stripes around the lower abdomen. They always love the bananas as much as the butterflies.

So, two harbingers of hope appeared suddenly, without expectation, and now I can rest assured that all is right with the world, despite my garden, which will recover in due time.

Mother Nature can be cruel, but she can also be astute.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctnchpr

Beautifully written, Susan! And yes, things will get better.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 11:50AM
soinspired(6 (Central IN))

I am so sorry to hear about your storm damage. Good grief, hail that size would certainly beat anything to death. I hope your home wasn't damaged too. Mother Nature is amazing and I am always in awe of how everything can come back so strong. I hope your garden will rejuvenate itself and you!

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 9:30AM
rob_a(9)

A good post Susan.
Sorry about your storms, but I'm in Tx and know your pain. You guys in OK have had more than your share of storms this year.
It's Kansas(not tx) turn next. LOL
Good luck with your hummers.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™