Beautyberry jelly recipe

oukayOctober 28, 2012

Does anyone have a recipe for beautyberry jelly? I didn't find one in the archives. My plants are full of berries and I would like to try it this year. I did find a recipe on a foraging website (eattheweeds.com), but it did not have any added lemon juice and I was not sure if it was safe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Found a couple and linked the best one below. But I don't know of any reason why any of the berry jelly recipes wouldn't work for them - blueberry, raspberry, loganberry, etc. - the basic ingredients are all the same.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Beauty Berry jelly recipe

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 5:46PM
pqtex

I have made jelly from the American Beautyberry.

I used the Sure-Jell recipe for elderberries to make my Beautyberry Jelly. It includes 1/4 cup of lemon juice. This recipe called for fresh lemon juice, but I used bottled lemon juice. The proportions were the same in the Sure-Jell recipe as Beautyberry Jelly recipes I found online, but this one included the lemon juice.

I also used a trick I learned here, which is to add an extra tablespoon of pectin (in addition to the full package called for in the recipe) each time I make jelly. The set always comes out just right.

I had 6 cups of berries, and those 6 cups made EXACTLY the 3 cups of juice called for in the recipe. Lucky me. In making the juice, I used only enough water to cover the berries. Use too much water, and the color and taste of the jelly is diluted too much. I learned that lesson the first time I made mayhaw jelly.

The American Beautyberry may not taste good fresh off the bush, but it makes a lovely, tasty jelly. This is a jelly worth making.

The color of the jelly comes out a beautifuly clear jewel-toned garnet color---not at all the lavendar/purple I expected.

I really enjoy finding wild edibles and this plant is abundant in southeast Texas. I'm extremely cautious about all plant ID and always research all plants carefully as to safety and how to use the plant parts. Many people don't realize this plant makes a good jelly, because too many raw ones will give you a bellyache.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that rubbing the crushed leaves on your skin acts as a mosquito repellent.

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Sure-Jell Elderberry jelly recipe used to make Beautyberry Jelly

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 6:33PM
oukay

Just an update. I made the jelly yesterday with the recipe that Dave found. It is delicious and looks beautiful! Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
Cherry jam not setting
I made sweet cherry jam yesterday, without added pectin...
creativesolver
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™