Wolf berries or goji

dclegg_gwNovember 3, 2013

I live in zone 9a, has anyone had success growing golfberries in this area? If so, where did you get the plants? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dangermouse01

To get seeds, go to an Asian grocery/market, look for a package of dried goji berries, most likely labeled "fructus lycii". Soak a couple of the dried berries in warm water for a hour or two to rehydrate. Once soft, slice open and remove the seeds. They sprout fairly easy. I've had luck with just about every way I tried; between damp paper towels in a zip lock baggie on a sunny window sill, jiffy pots on the same window sill, just in potting mix on the same window sill.
A 6 oz bag of dried berries will give you all the seeds you would need for about $3.50.
Somebody else will have to give the tips for keeping them going.

DM

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 5:38PM
JCTsai(8B - Jacksonville, FL)

when is the best time to grow? Thanks

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 6:45PM
redfoot

I bought mine online from the Botany Shop in Joplin, MO. They went a few years with little growth but this past summer they really started growing and flowered. They seem to like a higher PH soil and responded to wood ash and lime. I would plant them anytime this winter or early spring.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 10:32PM
derbyka

I have two plants that I bought as 1 gallons from a blueberry/goji berry farm in Hudson. They have been in the ground about 7 months and are about 5 ft tall. They bloom profusely but only a couple of berries have actually set so far. Even without the berries, they sure bring the bees into the garden for pollination. A couple of weeks ago, there were probably 100-150 bees on the two plants at any one time. I counted at least 5 different species.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 10:56PM
thonotorose

Cuttings root very easily. (Sorry, derbyka...lol. And what stupendous dirt!)

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Mulch around bushes?
I was just at one of the better garden centers here...
echobelly
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™