Aroostook Me

alyciaadamo(3/4)May 17, 2011

AWESOME!! I just got my Hummingbird yesterday!! I didn't know they came this early up here!! He flew up to me yesterday about a foot away from me looked at me for a few seconds and flew away! It was weird, I know this sounds really stupid but it was like he was showing me he was here so I would put out the feeder. So I did. I thought it weird because I have a very small backyard like 15' x 20' with a 6' fence on one side and our 2 story house on the other. It's not like I walked in HIS path. My mom was thinking he probably thought I was a giant flower because I had a red shirt on :). This morning while I was out looking in my garden he came to the feeder, but because I was there left he came back and left 5 times. When I left he came back and ate!! I am so excited, I don't know if there is a big population of hummers up here because I only saw the one last year but I sure am happy I got the one back!

doing the happy dance yay!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alyciaadamo(3/4)

"They quickly become accustomed to human presence, and will swoop down to investigate red articles of clothing, possibly as potential food sources"

OK so it was a stupid statement, I guess my mom was right. But I am still happy to see him.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 12:16PM
alyciaadamo(3/4)

I have two males fighting over the feeder so I put another one out. It's so cool everytime I go in my garden I see hummingbirds. I hope this becomes a regular thing.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 4:35PM
tom123_gw

If you change the sugar water every three or four days he or she is likely to return. Where there is one hummingbird there are more. Do you also have flowers to attract them? Some salvias in bloom would make your yard more attractive.

Very happy for you. It's a joy to see them.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 6:39PM
PaulDavid63

If you will hang that red shirt on the fence , you will have more birds. I'm just as excited about my hummers as you and I have been feeding them for well over 20 years. You need red in the yard to attract the birds and you need more feeders (no red dye)to keep them, and for them to come back every year. My wife has been planting flowers at my current residence of about 3 years, but my previous 2 places had no flowers and I had tons of birds.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™