Flash hurt Hummers' Eyes?

ladyamityMay 8, 2007

I never have my camera with me at dusk but a little before dusk yesterday I noticed a little (about one inch long ) purple flower, bell-shaped, on a vine that I didn't plant. The vine must have piggybacked it's way in with some other plants I purchased about 2 months ago.

I ran and got my camera so that I could take a pic of the flower hoping I could post it here and someone would be able to identify it because two of my regular Hummers kept circling it.

To my surprise, a swarm, literally! of Hummers decided it was time to feed from the feeders.

Some of them were our regulars but lots of new ones too.

I started taking pics of them and I was so excited because it almost appeared as if some of them were posing for me so I clicked and clicked and clicked.

Husband came outside and asked if I was sure the flash from the camera wasn't blinding (temporarily) the Hummers.

I had never given it much thought but I know when I'm not expecting it and someone takes a pic with a flash, I have that little second of darkness.

So, all this to ask---

Could the flash from my camera do harm, or temporarily blind my night visitors?

Amity

Here's one of my visitors from last night.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rasakili

dont worry.. their eyes are more equipped with dealing with extra bright objects than ours. They are out in the sun all day staring at white flowers at very close range.. the flash shouldnt hurt them. :) Confused maybe, but no damage.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 3:26PM
tracey_nj6(6)

That's a great picture!

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:45AM
ladyamity

Rasakili,
Thank you so very much for the great info about their eyes. I had been so worried I might have done some damage ever since my husband brought it up.
Confused, you say? LOL Then they'll fit right in with the rest of the fur and feathered babes in this family.
Again, Thank you!

Tracey,

Thank you so much!
I honestly didn't think I got anything in the picture but the feeder. My camera has a long delay and most times I get pics of visitorless (is that a word? ) feeders.
When I transferred from camera to computer, this shot was a very nice surprise.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™