Best EARLY bloomers for hummers?

spaceman13(6b)May 30, 2013

Anyone ever try the Weigelia x grandiflora 'Sonic Bloom' from PW? It is supposed to be a re-blooming weigelia, but I know how those slick marketing people work!

I'm thinking of that or a Abelia x grandiflora 'Edward Goucher', depending on which is more attractive to the hummers. I think the Weigelia blooms earlier, which would be nice because my summer to fall blooming beds are nectar rich.

What is your opinion for the best EARLY blooming food sources for hummers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eric580

They loved my allium this Spring. I bought an origami blue and white columbine ,but it bloomed before the hummers arrived and is developing buds for a second bloom (probably in a few days). I also heard they like azealas, lupines, rhododendron, fire star dianthus, and flowering almond. Any fruit tree like cherries, apples, and pears would attract them too.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 7:59PM
Eric580

They loved my allium this Spring. I bought an origami blue and white columbine ,but it bloomed before the hummers arrived and is developing buds for a second bloom (probably in a few days). I also heard they like azealas, lupines, rhododendron, fire star dianthus, and flowering almond. Any fruit tree like cherries, apples, and pears would attract them too.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 8:00PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

My weiglia has JUST started opening blooms. My quince flowers earlier and has lost most blooms by now. I will warn you, I don't know if they all misbehave like mine, but it spreads via root sucker at least 20' from it's location, so keep that in mind if you choose one. Last year the hummers were fighting over it, this year I didn't see any until last weekend so I don't know if they arrived a bit later or I just didn't time my visits to where the quince is around when they were there. The orioles were happy to see it though.

I second the above post about fruit trees, I've seen them on my crab apple.

What about some of the honeysuckle like Major Wheeler or Golden Flame?

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
So sad - Found one of my Hummers dead
Well, actually I didn't find him. My husband did. I...
ladyamity
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Splish Splash
Just took this on a very cool, breezy morning at about...
shillanorth Z4 AB
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™