Dixondale onion counts?

derbykaNovember 9, 2012

I ordered onion transplants from Dixondale last year. They advertise 60-75 onions per bunch, but I got well over 150 in each bundle! Several went to waste and since they are expensive, I want to plan better this year. I did order very late for short day varieties (end of January/beginning of Feb) so I was wondering if maybe they had a lot of extra to get rid of at that point in time? Does anyone else have experience getting large bundles from them? Just want to know if it was a fluke or if I can plan on getting a lot again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

I ordered from them 3 years ago and the counts were very close except when the plants were tiny they would add a few xtra but nowhere near what you are describing. This year I ordered sweet potatoes and the shipped late because of the varaties I wanted some I got none and some I got 30 when I ordered 6. I would say end of season is a crap shoot.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:06PM
derbyka

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will just count on getting the normal amount then.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 12:46PM
derbyka

Well, the verdict is in. I ordered 4 bunches and they all have way over the 55-75 though the starts are pretty skimpy. I counted one bundle, and it has 226. I think that they are all pretty comparable. After I give some away to others at the community garden, I will probably have a lot of extra to offer to anyone here in St. Pete.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 7:57PM
derbyka

If anyone here in the St. Pete area wants any of my extra transplants, let me know. I have Texas Legend (the new Dixondale short day variety this year - more nutritious, bigger, and longer storage than the Texas sweet). I also have yellow granex and southern belle red hybrid (which did well for me last year even planted in late Jan). I will post this in the Florida Exchange as well.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
Mulch around bushes?
I was just at one of the better garden centers here...
echobelly
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™