Dixondale onion counts?

derbykaNovember 9, 2012

I ordered onion transplants from Dixondale last year. They advertise 60-75 onions per bunch, but I got well over 150 in each bundle! Several went to waste and since they are expensive, I want to plan better this year. I did order very late for short day varieties (end of January/beginning of Feb) so I was wondering if maybe they had a lot of extra to get rid of at that point in time? Does anyone else have experience getting large bundles from them? Just want to know if it was a fluke or if I can plan on getting a lot again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

I ordered from them 3 years ago and the counts were very close except when the plants were tiny they would add a few xtra but nowhere near what you are describing. This year I ordered sweet potatoes and the shipped late because of the varaties I wanted some I got none and some I got 30 when I ordered 6. I would say end of season is a crap shoot.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:06PM
derbyka

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will just count on getting the normal amount then.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 12:46PM
derbyka

Well, the verdict is in. I ordered 4 bunches and they all have way over the 55-75 though the starts are pretty skimpy. I counted one bundle, and it has 226. I think that they are all pretty comparable. After I give some away to others at the community garden, I will probably have a lot of extra to offer to anyone here in St. Pete.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 7:57PM
derbyka

If anyone here in the St. Pete area wants any of my extra transplants, let me know. I have Texas Legend (the new Dixondale short day variety this year - more nutritious, bigger, and longer storage than the Texas sweet). I also have yellow granex and southern belle red hybrid (which did well for me last year even planted in late Jan). I will post this in the Florida Exchange as well.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™