Hoya Compacta

cyclonenatAugust 31, 2011

The lady i bought the plants off said this plant is a slow grower is she right? Its very small at the moment and only has one vine and its still growing upright?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RainforestGuy

A photo is worth a lot in words.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 11:05PM
cyclonenat

im thinking this young plant is in to big a pot as it is quite small, if i water less,should it be alright in the same pot?

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:22AM
tammypie(9)

I once had a small Hoya Compacta variegated. That thing got mealies and I finally got rid of them. Then I gave this hoya to my SIL who kept it in her garden window. It didn't do anything, so I'd say yes, it's a slow grower.

TammyPie

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:42AM
mairzy_dotes(zone 10)

The varigated forms are much slower than the all green one, but yes...they are slower than a lot of other types of hoyas. Mine also does not like to dry out very much.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:51AM
cyclonenat

ok cool thanks for the info yay spring is on the way hope my plants grow well his year

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 6:33AM
RainforestGuy

OK, so we're talking about Hoya carnosa "compacta" there used to be a mislabeled plant called hoya compacta but I thought the name was discontinued, but when I saw it again, I wasn't sure any more.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:35PM
cyclonenat

yeah the curly one

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 4:43PM
Auntie_hammer

I have 3 of them, green and both variegated. I have t disagree with opinion of them as slow growers. At least for me. It's true that they seem not to grow much in lenght during season, but mine produce much more leaves than any other of my hoyas. One thing, it took them ages to establish and start growth but once they did - it's madness. All of them at least doubled their size this season. New leaves are much bigger and fleshier than old ones (this is their first growing season so all the old leaves come from the nursery).
I dare say they like it a bit cooler then warmer. Seems to do them good apparently

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
ciliata and coronaria
I had mentioned last fall that I had read somewhere...
rennfl
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Hoya ID Needed
I just bought this beautiful plant at a local garden...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™