Hostas in full sun - should I transplant?

spolkMay 5, 2011

Hi,

I am busy fixing up the garden in the garden of the home I just moved into. I have noticed hosta shoots coming up in areas that are exposed to full sun from late morning until evening. I have no idea what variety they are, but it seems that most hostas prefer partial shade, so I am worried these plants won't do well in their current location. However, they seem to have survived regardless...should I transplant them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.

If you see multiple shoots coming up I'd say it's reasonably happy with where it is. LEAVE IT. Figure out what variety it is and how it changes over the course of the summer. If you feel based on this year's experience that it might be happier with more shade than move it NEXT spring.

Pieter

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 11:20AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i agree ....

why are you 'fixing' something that apparently is NOT broken ...???

many of the fragrant ones.. can take a lot of sun .... especially up here in the great white north ...

ken

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 12:10PM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

I agree. They may look ratty toward the end of the summer. But many varieties look ratty at that time, so a better location may not solve your problem.

A good thing to remember: Hostas are SHADE TOLERANT. And with adequate moisture and not too much hot hot sun (like in the southern US), the can handle a great deal of sun. I myself am going to plant a bed of hosta this spring that's going to be full sun, but I am also running drip irrigation to that area.

Once they're fully leafed out, take a pic of the whole plant and one of just a leaf or 2 and post it to us. Something helpful is to include something on a leaf for reference.... pens are usually good, but if it's smaller, use a quarter.

You'll get several people who will be happy to give an opinion of its identity.

Ok, forum friends, my money is on undulata mediovarigata.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 2:10PM
spolk

Thanks for your responses- I will definitely NOT transplant these hostas! I will post a picture when the leaves come out.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 3:04PM
bernd ny zone5(5)

I agree with Melissa, these are probably common green and white hostas, perhaps albomarginatas. Driving through neighborhoods I noticed hosta pips pushing out of circular beds on front lawns, must also get a lot of sun. Perhaps those have a well irrigated lawn.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 6:20PM
joebar(pnw8)

many of my hostas are in a great deal of sun and they are fine; they are tough plants

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Hosta F 2014
A dog thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me,...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
houzz search
We can no longer search under specific forums? Forgive...
smorz
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™