pine needle mulch

liza070831(z4VT)May 10, 2008

My hosta garden is located under two pine trees. Right now the needle drop is about 9" deep. I can see the little noses under the mulch but don't know if I should clear away some of the needles or just leave them. I like to think they act as a barrier for munching rabbits. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esther_opal

Don't bother about rabbits they are not a problem.
Those eyes some call spears have a purpose; to push through forest floor debri, they will do fine.

Don't worry be happy.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 11:09AM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

being in zone 4, frost is a real possibilty. leave the mulch in place, and let them do their thing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 11:22AM
liza070831(z4VT)

thank you both..I guess I will let mother nature take care of them.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 3:20PM
esox48(4/MN)

I'd like to hear more about this interesting theory that rabbits are not a problem.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 9:33PM
esther_opal

I have a fairly large area planted in the middle of 20 acres surrounded by farms larger than my property with a lot of rabbits. I've observed them biting off a couple of leaves of a new planting that I reasoned they were checking out something new in their habitat without eating the leaves.

We also have more deer than you can count and I've never had any deer problem. There is an argument that mine are rural deer as opposed to suburban deer. Rabbits and deer have plenty of their normal browsing material so they don't bother our hosta. Many in cities or more densely populated areas that have terrible deer problems.

Bookmark   May 10, 2008 at 11:07PM
iowa_flower_nut(5)

Well, rabbits ARE a problem in my yard! They will eat hosta to the ground in the blink of an eye.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 12:16AM
esther_opal

"Well, rabbits ARE a problem in my yard!"
iowa flower nut

General statements however statistically valid does not matter individually however true or fallacious they may be.

The deer thing came from something I read about from biologist that study deer behavior.

Shoot your rabbits! Ignore what I think is generally accurate.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 9:01AM
liza070831(z4VT)

I must say that I agree with ester opal. I throw all my thorny rose stems over my hosta -hopefully that will deter the munching rabbits. I have also scattered Kitty litter around and planted kale nearby.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™