Seed potatoes and Vidalia plants

shuffles_gwNovember 26, 2011

Shells in Tampa now has seed potatoes and Vidalia onion plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Picked up a set of onions from them yesterday! I think they have a newbie working there, I asked him if they had any Granex onion sets and he said no, all they had was Vidalia's ;-)

Tom

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 5:17PM
shuffles_gw

Yeah, most of the people working there don't know much. It is supposed to be a family business, but I haven't seen any of the family lately. A few years ago, I complained that the rape seed turned out to be turnips. That was beyond them. They also sell onion sets (bulbs). They have no idea that those will not make onions in this area. Anyway, we can educate each other. I hope you got the plants and not the sets. I am trying to remember. Maybe the plants are called slips. Or maybe that is only for sweet potato plants.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 5:31PM

They also sell onion sets (bulbs). They have no idea that those will not make onions in this area.

Sure they will, I buy the bulb sets every year and end up with wonderful baseball-sized onions. As long as you buy short-day sets (Granex) they'll start bulbing up in January, after the winter solstice is past the daylight starts getting longer.

Tom

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 9:15AM
shuffles_gw

Tom, I have never seen named varieties of onion sets in this area. In the past I have tried some unnamed sets and ended up with giant scallions in the spring. Shells usually has three varieties: red, white and yellow. You have had better luck than I. That is why I grow my own from seeds.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 11:35AM

I should have said "bunches" instead of "sets". I hear bunches called sets here frequently so I guess I'm remiss, sorry.

Tom

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 12:56PM
shuffles_gw

Tom, I guess I should have said "bare root plants" rather than "slips". It seems like when I was growing up all bare root vegetable plants were generally called slips. I have never really thought much about it before. English can be an inexact language. No offense taken. My name is also Tom.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 4:34PM

It's all good Tom, we'll have our onions in a few months ;-)

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
What happened to Old Garden Web?
WoW! I took a little time off, and come back totally...
cenflagirl
Strawberries rotting!
Hello Florida garden friends! I am having some success...
organic_elizabeth_b
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™