what to do with onions?

casi(5)October 6, 2012

We just cleaned up our garden and found a bag full of onions. We have just been pulling them as we needed them. Besides chopping them up and putting in the freezer, what can I do with them. I was told to tie them together and hang them...where?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Chop and dehydrate them. They will store indefinitely in a mason jar when dried and have unlimited uses. You can also slice and pickle them (couple of discussions on doing this here right now).

Bundling and hanging in a cool, dry, dark environment will keep them for a while but how long all depends on the variety. In time they will sprout and then rot, sweet varieties within a month, storage varieties within a couple of months.

So if you don't want to dehydrate or pickle them then freezing them chopped and in measured portions is the best option.

Dave

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:44PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

You can also carmelize them first (crockpot works well), then freeze. Reduces the space needed a bit.

Deanna

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 4:57PM
ottawapepper

If you have a CrockPot / Slow Cooker, I 2nd the caramelizing idea.

We (GF & I) do a few batches every year. They come in really handy for beef dishes, soups, on sandwiches and burgers, canapes etc. etc.

See link below for a recipe. We use the suggestion of one reviewer and sub chicken broth for the butter. They turn out great either way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramelized Onions

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:44PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

So, after dehydrating or doing the carmelizing method, how do you freeze them?
I suppose the dehydrated ones could be frozen in a jar to be scooped out as needed, but how do you best freeze the carmelized ones? It seems like they would freeze in a big lump.
Do you freeze them in an ice tray, wrapped in waxed or plastic wrap or what is your best method???? Baggies seem rather wasteful. Nancy

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:22PM
jxbrown

I portion them into freezer containers and then Foodsaver the frozen blocks. We like onion soup a lot so I make soup size blocks.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 12:41AM
ottawapepper

Ditto jxbrown re freezing caramelized onions.

For dried, like spices, you don't have to freeze as long as you store in an air tight jar and store away from heat in a dark location. I have a Mason jar attachment for my FoodSaver so I vacuum seal my dried goods for that extra peace of mind... I'm nuts ;-)

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Pickled beets from store canned beets
I want to can some pickled beets using canned beets...
peanutone
What are Lime Pickles
I found this recipe in Southern Living, which basically...
gardengrl
Current Botulism cases
The Oregon State Public Health Lab has confirmed that...
Linda_Lou
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™