canning jar leaked..still sealed?

beverlyr(z5 Ohio)October 2, 2011

I'm canning pickled beets. 3 pint jars and 1 quart. Left 1/4-1/2 in. headroom. The quart jar was barely covered with water because my pan wasn't tall enough. When I was taking the jar out, it slipped, fell into the water and leaked into the water. When I did get it out, the lid 'popped' almost immediately. Actually, a pint leaked also, but appears to have sealed also. The lids are not real easy to tell if they have sealed. Does this sound like it will be safe if not refrigerated? Have you had this happen to you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

1/4-inch headroom isn't sufficient and may have increased the likelihood of leaking.

I haven't BWB quarts in some time but I do remember how difficult it can be to remove jars without some tipping or tilting, not to mention the risk of slippage.

Yes, it's possible to have liquid seep from a jar and still get a good seal. All you can do is observe within the 24-hour period as jars cool. If they stay sealed, you should be OK.

That being said, if there's any doubt or discomfort, I would refrigerate.

I'm not understanding why it's difficult to tell whether the lids have sealed. Generally that's pretty easy.

Carol

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It's the "quart barely covered" part that would concern me the most. Without a good 1-2" on top as called for the seal can be exposed during the processing and that makes it unsafe for shelf storage. Need a much deeper pot or no quarts.

Given that plus the other problems, I wouldn't trust the quart for shelf storage whether it sealed or not. Just put it in the fridge and use it up soon.

Like Carol said, why is it difficult for you to tell if they have sealed or not?

Dave

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™