Candy Apple help needed.........

dancinglemons(7B VA)October 19, 2010

Hello all,

I have volunteered to make candy apples for a neighborhood Halloween function. The majority of attendees will be small children (less than 10 years old). I have looked high and low but can not find small apples this year. Has anyone here used cut apples for candied apples?? I am making the red hard candy apples not caramel apples. I know the apples must be de-waxed and dry for the candy to stick.

If I cut the apples in quarters the day before and let them dry in the fridge overnight - will this make them dry enough to allow the candy to stick and not ruin the candy solution? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here is one set of instructions for making mini candy apples out of larger apples.

If you Google 'candy apple pieces' it pulls up several different sets of instructions for using slices, quarters, halves, and apple balls.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Dave,

Surely you have wings!! (Most angels do!) I had planned on using the red hard candy for the apples -but- your link about scooping out balls from whole apples will work great!! I have a nice recipe for DIY caramel. With the "little baby apples" I should be able to have at least 100 'apples' for the kiddos!! And think of the money I will save!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
DL

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™