Strawberries in and growing leaves

pakaloloNovember 21, 2011

Just put our strawberries in last week and they have woken up and started making leaves. We are very excited to have berries in the next few months.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

It is neat to grow your own strawberries. My alpine berries are starting to produce again, but I need a lot more to make enough of their tiny berries.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 5:30PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Mark
You might check out the U. of Florida website they have extensive info for growing SB in the 4 climate zones of fla. Two varieties that I've found that will make it through summer are "Fiesta" and "ozark Beauty" I grow them in sb jars so I can move them out of the summer sun.
While the method is NOt very productive it does eliminate weeds and the summer problems but still requires transplanting the runners for winter . This year I transplanted TOOO early!!!. Good Luck with them !!! gary

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 6:07AM
pakalolo

Thanks Gary, we have read everything we can find on growing strawberries, including all the docs from UF. We are growing Sweet Charlie and Chandler this year. Not worried about keeping them over summer. I'll post up photos later!

Mark

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™