Neighbors using red nectar

tamela_star(Zone 7)May 8, 2014

I have neighbors across the street that put out a feeder full of red hummingbird nectar. I make my own as I have heard that the dye hurts the birds and unnecessary. Does anyone on here know for sure that it hurts them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

There aren`t any studies that say it does hurt them but there are also no studies that say it doesn`t hurt them. Because these little birds ingest so much nectar in the course of a day, any additives to the nectar could have a cumulative effect. Given that most hummingbird feeders have enough red on them to attract the birds it`s actually less hassle to forgo the additives and just stick with straight cane sugar and water.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 12:33AM
hummersteve

One thing is for sure it is unnecessary. A true waste of money hummers will come to your feeders without using the red coloring so why take the chance of hurting these adorable creatures.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 6:41PM
tamela_star(Zone 7)

Thanks. I have plenty of hummers visiting my feeders through out the day. I worry that they visit feeders that have harmful additives. At least they have fresh homemade nectar from me.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:57PM
JoppaRich(7b)

There's an entire snopes article on the idea that red dye hurts hummingbirds. It doesn't.

It's not necessary, but its not a problem either.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:02PM
JoppaRich(7b)

Sorry to double post, but I saw a comment about "unhealthy additives".

The only additives in most commercial hummingbird food are electrolytes, and anti-fungals. Fungi can be a huge issue with hummingbirds, so if you're not cleaning your feeders very regularly (or your neighbor isn't), telling them to use home made stuff is putting the birds in danger.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™