wine and roses weigela for my hummers

rachelleharris(z5/Lansing,mi)May 23, 2007

I have read alot about these. I hear they are great for the hummers. I found mine for $4.96 at Meijers. Bought them all. Like 9 of them. Made great Mothers day gifts. Mine still have not bloomed yet but when they do how do I shear them to make rebloom. Do I cut the whole branch or just the part that has the bloom.

I have checked everywhere for this info. Since I always got great answers here before I thought I would ask.

I still have only had one sighting this year. But I will tell you I got a friend interested and now she has regulars. Only had a feeder up two weeks. I told her about the forum so I am sure she will read this as well. Oh well I am happy for her.

Rachelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chescobob(z6b SEPA)

I have about 15 weigela W & R in their 3rd year. Next to the hummingbird feeder, I have 7 in a row.

I've seen hummers 4 times this year. The last 2 days with the weigelas in bloom, I have seen a male each day. He tries the feeder mixture too.

Last year, I cut my weigelas after blooming to fit their space. They grow in all directions. The ones I trimmed, Came back loaded with blooms. In fact, they are fuller than the ones I didn't trim. I will trim mine later this Summer. This is what works for me.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 9:44PM
rachelleharris(z5/Lansing,mi)

Should I just trim the whole bush or just the blooms?
Help?
Rachelle

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 7:45AM
chescobob(z6b SEPA)

I trim the bush. The plant will get long-limbed after two years. I'm going to look for limbs that are not full and trim down to the full area. I will probably do it in a month. Once established, these seem to be sturdy plants.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™