Found A Large Pineapple Sage

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaMay 8, 2014

I was surprised to find a Pineapple Sage in full bloom. I've had them before, but they didn't bloom until fall. Usually just around the time my hummers fly south. The label says: "Blooms fall to spring".

Will this beautiful plant bloom all summer? There are many buds developing, but I have to wonder if this plant will figure out what season it is.

Of course, maybe this is all irrelevant since I haven't seen a hummingbird yet.

What do you think?

Thanks

Harry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

I had one that bloomed in summer, and it was a big hummingbrid draw. When I tried to replace it, I got the old usual fall bloomer.

I've seen one offered (not sure where, but maybe Select Seeds) that is supposed to bloom in summer. So yes, it could be you lucked into one that blooms earlier. They do exist. I say enjoy it, and be sure to take cuttings in the fall because heaven knows when you'll find another. :)

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:42PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I saw my first hummingbird of the season yesterday. It was dining on the Pineapple Sage.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:40AM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Wonderful, Harry. They do love it. It feels really good to provide them with soething they want.

BTW, I looked up Select Seeds-- they offer a pineapple sage called "Honeymelon" that blooms in summer. That's the one I had.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:32PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

The Pineapple Sage is finally opening up new flowers. Even though the older, and very stringy, stalks are still blooming. I didn't want to prune off the original ones until they were totally spent.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 3:07PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

In that situation, I would cut off a few-- 1/6 to 1/3 of the old stringy, then when those have sprouted new growth and are blooming, cut off another 1/6 to 1/3, then repeat. This way you can refresh the plant and keep it blooming at the same time.

I'm sure you know these are water hogs-- give lots of water.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™