Need Hummingbird Help

greenthumbzdudeMay 14, 2010

Hello,

I have a problem. Last August i planted a bunch of hummingbird plants in a quiet section of my yard next to my shed and arborvite bushes. I thought for sure that i would see a hummingbird right away the following spring because i planted all their favorites. Such as coral honeysuckle, lantana, salvia, beebalm, wild bergamot, columbine, red buckeye, and lillies. I have even put up a hummingbird feeder and so far have not seen a single one. Has anyone had a similar experience? What should i do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob_a(9)

I would have said the same thing five years ago. It took me several years to get a nice group to my feeders. Each year better than the last.

It takes patience, but keep your feeder out and plants going. Each year you will have more.

This morning I had six hummers on my balcony at the same time. Five years ago, I saw a hummer once or twice a week.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Patience and Perserverance

Build it and they will come--just maybe not right away.

7 years ago when I started only feeders and I felt lucky if I saw 2 hummers at any one time. Keep the plants going and change those feeders every 2 or 3 days and it will eventually pay off for you. Now its not uncommon in the evenings to see hummers swarming around my feeders during migration [august]. Its fun to be outside at daylight with my coffee and welcome them into my flower garden. Whats in my flowr garden you ask. Very similar to what you mention. Salvia guaranitica , sal. coccinea, subrotunda, cuphea shumannii , david verity, sal greggii.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™