First Time Using a Pressure Canner. Have Questions.
OK, got the 23 Quart Presto Pressure Canner from Amazon. I've used a pressure cooker (with the weight-thing) and had success several years ago with meals. NOT new to canning, only Pressure Canning.
1. Should I do a dummy run first -- with, say canned sliced potatoes in pint jars? (My husband likes to have these around -- go figure) This wouldn't be a great expense or too time consuming.
2. Want to REALLY make Katie's soup and pressure can that. I've read all the info for a few years, and have all questions answered there, thanks.
3. Can't find a diagram anywhere that will tell me how to place/load a second layer of pint jars. Would it be best to find a second round "rack" to put above the first layer, rather than trying to balance pint jars on top of each other?
4. Does anyone know of an appropriate prayer to utter when I attempt my first pressure canner load? I've already phoned our life insurance agent to make sure I'm covered, and my will and trust are up-to-date! And, as I'll be in the kitchen during all this, I'll spend time at the table writing a last-minute list of amends to those I've wronged throughout my life.
5. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks (and I'm not really that scared ... really!), Kathy