ID - Wide Brim?

jarih(4 in Finland)May 19, 2012

Label says HOSTA. Ok, but... Here in Scandinavia Wide Brim is quite common. Here season just begins and this is small and too yellow, label tells that this will be 30 - 40 cm = 10 - 15 inches. Any suggestions?

Sorry about small pictures.

I have no idea about this one, same size now and later too label says.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

First one could be Wide Brim,as it comes up cream edged,and then gets whiter,depending on sun. Second on looks like Frances Williams,but that is just a guess. Phil

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:38AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Unless your first one just came up, I don't think it's Wide Brim. Wide Brim is dark green. We're ahead of you on the season and most of the edges have turned white, but the little leaves still have yellow edges. (This pot of wide Brim holds all different aged plants, as I pulled several out of a place they were dying and potted them all in one pot.)

I have a hosta that is similar to your first one, but I don't know what it is as it was mislabeled. It's sending up scapes now. I will post it for ID when it flowers.

I don't know about your second one.

bkay

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:07PM
donrawson(Z 5)

bkay, your second one could be Summer Breeze, Summer Lovin, or Nickelodeon.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:09PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Sometimes, it's hard to ID a hosta. There are many similar cultivars, The things that will help is a photo of the flower, when it flowered, if it changes during the season, photos of how it looks, and when, are very valuable in a good ID.

I suggest you re-post your topic without the reference to Wide Brim. Sometimes, folks don't look if they don't have a Wide Brim. Post one hosta per post. The more photos, the better. Just put NOID or Id in the subject line. We like that game. Remember, lots of photos help.

Good luck,

bkay

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 11:21PM
jarih(4 in Finland)

Thank you all for suggestions and for bkay very good advice. I'll wait colours to change and then take more pictures..

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
If you were to recommend only one hosta it would be........
If you could suggest only one hosta to others as a...
santamiller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™