Neem Oil?

debbie_nySeptember 22, 2010

I'm sure the answer to this has been posted a million times, but I can't find it.....How should neem oil be used? If I find mealies on my plants, should I spray or just dab? Does a diluted alcohol spray work just as well? Does the neem oil act as a preventative or merely just an insecticide to kill off the visible pests? I believe I read somewhere that re-application is important....Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrynsmom(5)

1.5 tsp neem
2 Tbsp alcohol
couple drops ivory dish soap (not ultra)
32 oz water.

spray liberally (out of the sun - it will burn the leaves. keep in the shade until dry)

repeat every 3-5 days for 2 weeks

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:36AM
rennfl

I use neem quite a bit. The amount to use depends on which supplier you get it from. The bottle should have the recommended amount. And yes spray down the whole plant, making sure you get undersides of leaves as well.

It works by smothering them, it is also supposed to be an anti-feedant as well. But yes, reapplication is very important, in order to get the recently hatched bugs.

I've used it successfully on mites, scale, caterpillers etc.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 11:36AM
mdahms1979

The stuff I use say to mix about equal parts soap and Neem in water and then to spray the plant on all surfaces. You can get it in or on the potting mix as well and I even went to a lecture on nutrients where the speaker said it can be used as a slow release bio-nutrient.
I believe Neem also prevents insects from fully developing so it can help break their reproductive cycle. Because it also smothers it is something that insects can not become resistant to. I like to use alcohol and go around and spot treat for mealies when I find them or even do an alchacol spray, then the next week a Neem spray.

Mike

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 12:03PM
debbie_ny

Thank you all for the information! This afternoon I load the spray bottle for the attack! Thanks again! =)

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 12:21PM
wrynsmom(5)

I apologize. I use Green Light Neem, which is a concentrate.

And I'm pretty sure you jinxed me! I found four mealies on my my H. eitapensis, today. hahaha (pretty sure I misspelled that hoya)

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 5:54PM
debbie_ny

Oh no!!!!! Kill it! Kill them all! I swear, I'm so obsessive about those disgusting "creatures" that I've attacked a plant with my alcohol soaked q-tip only to discover that it's a piece of vermiculite that came out of the soil onto the plant! LOL!

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 8:45AM
gennykins(4)

Debbie,

Sooooo funny - sounds exactly like something I would do!

Lisa

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 9:08AM
debbie_ny

OH NO!!!!! OK, a few weeks ago I made the move of all the plants inside....inspected them to the point of being rediculous....repotted...the whole 9 yards..last night I find the damm mealies....so the spraying begins....There has got to be a better way.....I'm seeing all of those "sterilization wands" to be used in hotels....I wonder if we can all come up with something similar for these pests!! I HATE THEM!

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™