Flower bed tips

jay733June 5, 2010

I'm growing a flower bed right now but I don't know if I'm over crowding. My flower bed is small, about 3 feet width by 26 feet length. So far I have young plants growing. I have foxgloves lined horizontally in the background I have firecracker, candy corn vine, bat face cuphea, butterfly bush, butterfly weed, flame bush, and salvia. Is there certain amount of space between each plant I should give them? I have one plant of each except the foxglove, which I have lined in the background about a foot a part. What spacing should I consider when planting my other plants? I basically want to have all the plants I've mentioned fill the entire space of the bed with little space separating them to give it a full look but I don't know if this will work, I'm new to this first time making a bed for hummingbirds so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

When I first started my flower bed it was about the same size as yours and it was tight quarters with plants growing into one another. Another thing I found this bed is also up against my house and hummers couldnt get to the backside flowers which were mashed against the house. So in following years I improved my planting to where more plants had more room to breathe and were not so close to the house. You learn this with trial and error. And then again some people like their flowers meshed together like this. When you first start like me you really dont know how big certain plants will get or how much they will spread but you will soon learn. No matter what people say you have to learn for yourself. You have to experience it then you will know what to do the following years. And yes, my main flower bed has at least tripled in width, but same length.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay733

Thanks for the tips, I was just worried about the plants dying if over crowded because of the roots. I plan to cut down plants and have tall plants in the back the low ones in the front so each one is accessible. Might have to expand the width a little as the plants grow though.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
how to germinate Seven-Up plant
Howdy, To attract hummingbirds to my Zone 8 coastal...
seedmoney
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™