pear and chocolate jam

timothina(7a)October 15, 2011

I just bought a British preserving book: 100 jams, jellies, preserves, and pickles by gloria nicol. She suggests that after making pear jam, you layer the jam and chocolate shavings in a jar and then process the jam. I know the British do not follow the same safety standards as North Americans. Any idea on how I can figure out if this is safe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It's the both-sides-of-the-pond quagmire and basically boils down to "your choice".

Generally chocolate isn't approved in jams here because of the fat content. Over there it apparently is.

As Carol mentioned in a previous discussion of this issue "I'm not convinced a little fat in a high-acid high-sugar product is that big a risk." and I agree. So it's your choice.

You bought the book knowing there would be many differences so I assume you are willing to accept those differences. If not, then refrigerate it. :)

Dave

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 2:26PM
happyday(WI4a)

Timothina, it sounds good. Can you post the recipe? how long do you process it after layering, and how? BWB or pressure can?

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 2:48PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Well, Dave's already quoted me (Thank you Dave!) so you already have my answer.

For what it's worth, if you're going to layer chocolate in with the pear, I wouldn't boiling water bath it but refrigerate or do what the Europeans do and shelve it with the assumption of a shorter shelf life. Imagine what heat hitting that layer of chocolate will likely do to its texture and appearance. It may seize up or melt into an unappealing brown ribbon in the preserve.

Personally I'm not a fan of chocolate in preserves, so my inclination would be to make plain pear preserves and if serving for guests find my prettiest glass dish to put them in then shave some large generous pieces of really good chocolate over the top.

Carol

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
What are Lime Pickles
I found this recipe in Southern Living, which basically...
gardengrl
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Loquat jam bwb
These recipes I am looking at don't talk about boiling...
tim45z10
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
Sponsored Products
Georgian Spreaders, Set of 4
The City Farm
Big Four-Light Pendant with Reclaimed Chocolate Tiger Shell
$799.00 | Bellacor
Hand Tufted Sophia Brown Wool Area Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Chocolate Dobby Comforter Set
$39.99 | zulily
Simple Living White Night Stand
Overstock.com
Uttermost Stag HornTable Lamp
Lamps Plus
Jazzy Plain Chocolate Cotton Pillow
$52.95 | Bellacor
Chocolate Blossom Linen Ava 6-Light Bronze Pendant Fixture
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: