transplanted butterfly bush

michele_1June 22, 2007

I've got a butterfly / bird shade bog garden and a sun bog garden in the west side of the house. I moved my butterfly bushes to the west garden late last fall.

Well, the spot I put them in used to be sunny. With all the fertilizing and watering since I've lived here, the trees in the woods are putting out more limbs, leaves, and shade. This spring the butterfly bushes are in part-shade.

They weren't doing much at all, so I decided to risk it: Transplant at the wrong time of year when it's hot and dry.

I did a great job amending the soil and planting them, lots of mulch. These bushes are close to the house where I'll keep an eye on them. Give them lots of water daily for a while.

What are my chances that these bushes will make it? What are my chances that they'll bloom nicely for me??!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistymorgans

If you trimmed them back to a small size and provide some shade for them for the next few weeks they may just make it. Try rooting a few cuttings in case you lose the bushes. I use Clonex and have had relatively good success with buddleas. I also consistently dead-head my buddleas and am rewarded with larger fragrant blooms. Mine get only about 3-4 hrs of sun, the rest is high shifting shade. My hummers go to it, but really grow these for the butterfly's. Hope was a help. Jae

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 9:22PM
buford(7 NE GA)

They may lose all their leaves, but if you keep them watered, they will eventually bounce back. We transplanted some earlier this year, on an especially hot day. They looked wilted for awhile, lost most of their leaves, but are now doing fine. They may not bloom a lot this year.

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 5:31PM
jimmyjojo

Hi Michele_l,

Butterfly Bush is super easy to grow from cuttings. I put information on how to do it on "My Page". I must have ten of those around the backyard now, most are from cuttings.

-Joe

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 10:54PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

Butterfly bushes are very vigorous. Tranplants and cuttings should make it. I've moved volunteers around a few times and they do fine. I rooted 2 from cuttings (hey, free plants).

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Hummingbirds in Florida?
Ok, I've lived in Florida for 20 years now and have...
SnickerKitten
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™