Hoya cuttings in Sept?

windmillerSeptember 17, 2013

My understanding is that it is best to take cuttings in the spring but I have many Hoyas with 6-9 foot branches and also have the time to take the cuttings that I would like to take cuttings and pot them this week while I bring the hoyas in for the winter.

Any major reasons not to take cuttings now? Thanks for any advice :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi windmiller, I live in FL so take my advise with a grain of salt,lol...if you can provide your cuttings with the right warm temps, bright indirect light and humidity I don't see why you shouldn't be able to take cuttings now. We have a much longer growing/rooting season here than you do.

Provide them with as much humidity, light and warm temps like using an aquarium or rubbermaid (make shift greenhouse) or Hoya nursery. Bright light but not direct sun and you should do fine...Good luck!

Something like this...

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 9:45AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Wow nancy great advice and what a set-up!

I too can root any time of the year...

Many hello's to you

Good luck Windmiller...

MIke

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 11:41AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Mike...Ditto!! Great to see you :o)

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 12:01PM
greentoe357

PugLvr (and everyone else who cares to comment), I see you put pebbles on the floor of that container, and probably a thin layer of water for humidity. I wonder if that's necessary. When the plants inside are watered, even if you drain them, which of course you should do, there is still plenty of water in the soil for evaporation inside the container. Humidity inside my container with rooting hoyas is easily into high-80%s - I feel like I need to open the plastic cover a bit to let the cuttings breathe. Although this may change when winter comes around for real.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 9:13PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi greentoe, you're right I don't think that pebbles are necessary, the reason I put it there is so that when I spray the plants with a mister and or water them I do not have to worry about the pots sitting in water all day...definitely a very good idea to let fresh air in and to breathe. I do it every day just to be on the safe side to keep it from getting moldy :o)

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 10:58AM
greentoe357

Got it, thanks.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:16PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello, everyone!

Just wanted to add to the general concensus. I, too, root Hoyas (and other stuff) this time of year without a problem. I don't use special containers, nor do I attempt to raise the humidity, despite the dry environment in which I root my cuttings.

In early Spring, houseplants are at their lowest energy levels...so I don't like to mess with them. During mid-Summer, however, the temperatures are way too hot to mail cuttings in a box. In Autumn, the temps are perfect for cuttings - even if they have to sit in a warehouse for a weekend - and the growth is vital and usually hardened off (with the exception of tender new vines, which I don't try to root).

In fact, I took cuttings a couple days ago.

Josh

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Krimson princess question
I've had this hoya for about 6 months or so. Lately...
loveofbostons
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Sponsored Products
Basic Lytespan 1 Circuit Joiner Track
Lightology
Christopher Knight Home Bienne Royal Cut Crystal and Chrome 4-light Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
RGB PixelDMX LED Domes RGB-pixeldmx-dome-100
EnvironmentalLights.com
Stonegate Designs | Poppies 28 Inch Pendant Light
YLighting
Indoor Area Rug: Dazzle Grey and Gold 7' 9" x 9' 9" Plush
Home Depot