My Hoya Bella's leaves are getting white dots, any solution? :(

sarahkho(5)September 14, 2013

Hi there,

I noticed that Hoya bella that I am keeping in a southern window is not doing well. I am not sure whether I am over-watering it or it is some other issue that is causing the leaves to turn "not green". I attached a picture and if you know what might be wrong, please let me know so I could save the plant.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rennfl

Looks like mite damage. Treat with a miticide.

Renee

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:34PM
Kamikakushi

I agree with rennfl, spider mite damage or it might be thrips damage. If you have a little lens you could inspect the underside of the leaves, and identify the guilty party.

I suggest that you isolate the plant and be careful to wash your hands after handling it. Also clean up the area where you had it.

In Sweden there is this spray product called "Provado mot spinnkvalster" (formerly known as "Provado PLUS"). They also sell regular "Provado", but it only will kill insects, so be sure to get the right one. I would also recommend that you spray the maximum four times instead of just two; otherwise the mites probably will reinfest your plant.

Kami

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider mite info

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:22PM
sarahkho(5)

Thank you for the replys. I got the spry and started the treatment as you suggested.

I thought that spiders just make a nets and hunt other insects (infact I let some spider nets stay on the plant for sometime!). Now I seem to have been very wrong and spiders can harm the plants in addition to hunting other insects.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 11:05AM
dannie317

These aren't spiders, but spider mites. They're little pests that look like spiders and even make webs, but really do some damage!

Good luck saving your plant. I only had a problem twice, but both times I ended up getting rid of the plant, because I could never seem to get rid of the mites completely, and I didn't want them to get on my other plants.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™