First Native Honeysuckle Vine...Have ???'s

lovefornature(5B IL)June 9, 2008

Good Morning Everyone :)

I have ordered my very first native Honeysuckle Vine (it is scheduled to be delivered June 16th). It is a John Clayton.

I have some question.

I purchased a 6 ft. tall x 5 ft. wide trellis. Will this be enough support for the honeysuckle.

Also about pruning. I am in Zone 5B. Do I prune this back in the fall (after frost or before) and if so, how far do I prune it down.

I could buy another trellis for next to the one I already purchased but I cannot go any taller in feet.

Please help a newbie out to honeysuckle.

Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swct

Congrats on your purchase of an excellent honeysuckle. Your hummingbirds will be very pleased!

Native honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens) is not a rampant vine and your trellis size will be fine. Try to place your vine in full sun with good air circulation to avoid mildew problems. On pruning, you should prune this vine sparingly - in early spring remove dead wood and take off a bit of excess growth if your vine begins to outgrow your trellis. Do not give this vine a hard pruning as this will eliminate most of the season's flowering. Keep a close eye open for aphids on this vine as they can hinder new growth. Enjoy!

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
Reminscing
Just dreaming of what`s to come on this frosty (0 F)...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Cleaning feeders
I have a question about how to clean mold out of the...
Jenn.B
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™