Hoya elliptica - Thailand order

Okie_Deb(6 OK. zip 737)September 1, 2011

Hey everyone,

I am so proud of my elliptica I got from Jack and it's growth process! I took a picture this morning and circled the 6 growth spots. Looks it is fighting to live on despite being broken and losing it's leaves. So far 6 new growth places!,,,Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitzicos(11)

This is great Debbie! Congrats and good luck!

Mitzi

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 12:17PM
greedygh0st

Nice!! I think you've got a champion on your hands.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 12:53PM
Mairzy_Dotes(zone 10)

Wow...that is amazing. What did you water with while the cutting (stick) was rooting? I mean...did you put anything special in it or on it? Superthrive, fish stuff, etc?

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 12:59PM
gennykins(4)

Wow!! Nice growing! You've given me hope for the 'sticks' of subcalva and multiflora that are what remains from Jack's cuttings.

Lisa

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 1:39PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

VERY Exciting Debbie!! Great job saving it...what a trooper!

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 2:19PM
eileen44_gardener(4 Central Vermont)

Debbie.. As a newbie, I must say, even I can see the new growth... great job!

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 8:55PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Ooh, Debbie, that's a lot of new growth! Good job!

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 8:59PM
mdahms1979

I swear Hoya elliptica is a real trooper. When I got my plant it was a little stick with half a yellow leaf and it pulled through no problem.
One thing I have noticed is that mealies just love those soft leaves and they caused the demise of my little plant so keep an eye out for them.

Mike

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 9:11PM
Okie_Deb(6 OK. zip 737)

Thanks everyone for the pats on the back! I'm thrilled it's doing so well so far!

MD I soaked the stick with roots and the broken cutting in VF-11 after I received it. I then planted it in my soil mix which I have started adding Seed Starter to. Why? It has stuff in it to help seeds not rot and help them get started and strong so I figured why not add some in my soil mix. Well my AV's and Hoya's seem to like it and cuttings are having a better survival rate with no droopy leaves. I've been adding the seed starter for over a year now to my mix. I buy the Mircle Grow brand. My soil mix is Pro Mix BX, perlite and Mircle Grow seed starter. I do add some orchid bark when I think of it for the Hoya's.
I also put the planted bald stick outside. Oklahoma has humidity and we have been rather HOT so I thought it was worth a try. I put it in a bright light situation (no leaves to burn so what the heck) on my deck with a roof. I have since it is leafing out moved it where it gets some dappled sun on the deck. It's leaves turn towards the sun each day so it's liking it. I turn it every day so it won't grow leaning in one direction.

Mike I haven't had mealies in years (knock on wood!) but I do have to battle an occasional hungry grasshopper on the outside Hoya's.
I have a Hoya archiboldiana Bold Edge and it had new growth and was looking nice and all of a sudden that tender new growth was gone!!! I found a grasshopper! So I now spray my Hoya's outside once a week with Raid Flying Insect spray. I spray over them about a foot above and let the fog fall on the leaves. I do this at night when no sun could burn the leaves and it can air dry. Works like a charm and no leaf damage from the spray at all. Grasshoppers don't seem to like the taste because no more problems of munched tender new growth.
I started using the Raid Flying Insect spray after reading somewhere that it helped keep bugs off AV's. So before a plant enters my house it is sprayed. Wilts AV blooms but the blooms are what a lot of the bugs hide in. I pick the blooms off after the AV has been sprayed.

Lisa I do hope your sticks start new growth soon also!! Don't give up hope!!,,,Debbie

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 11:16PM
patrick51(5)

Congratulations Debbie...I'm so happy for you! My elliptica from Jack still looks dead...but, I won't give up on it until next summer. Great growing!! Fondly, Patrick

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
A little O.T., but relevant...
I've always been a little frustrated by the quandary...
denise_gw
If i give this hoya fertilizer will it branch off?
I have this fishtail cutting that has 5 leaves and...
tlbean2004
update on baby incrassatas
First of all, here's "mama"...yes, I know...
shelley7950
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
Wrinkly leaves
Some of the leaves on my new Hoya carnose 'Krimson...
bunnygurl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™