Best hostas for hummingbirds?

thane(z8 Bellevue, WA)June 24, 2007

Hi there... I did a search here and didn't find anything about specific hostas, so here we go:

I'm wondering which varieties of hostas are best for hummingbirds. Are there any that have more nectar than others? Any that have particularly attractive flower shapes, or taller flower spikes that work better? How about the fragrant hostas?

Basically, any tips on which hostas would help attract hummingbirds are appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dakster(z6 Cent.CT)

I have hostas (they came with the house) and I have no idea what they are called. Green Giant maybe? All I know is they are all green, and sport a light lavender flower. Hummers love them.

Also they go after my neighbor's orange Lillies.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 2:54PM
arleneb

Thane, just saw your post and thought I'd reply . . .

There are quite a few fragrant hostas, and my hummers seem to prefer them over the ones with no fragrance. Right now Royal Standard and Fried Green Tomatoes are in full bloom in my hosta beds and the hummers are all over them. They're easy to find or get from a friend. Plantaginea is fragrant; somewhat less easy to find.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 8:18PM
hummersteve

Before I had my hummer garden I had some hostas and the hummers wouldnt use them only the feeders , So I removed the hostas and made a hummer garden the length of my house , guaranitica black and blue, coccinia, subrotunda, david verity. They use all of these, but black and blue are by far the most used. I have about 8 of those plants in my bed.

Bookmark   August 28, 2007 at 8:15AM
lucygreenthumb

I have some of the very common and tough as nails lance-leaved hostas (hosta lancifolia). They aren't fancy - but they'll take hot summer sun as well as full shade. They're often used as fillers between fancier hostas. Anyhow, I've kept a few just because they bloom when the hummers are passing through in the fall and the hummers seem to love them. They're a smaller to mid-size hosta with smallish lavendar flowers. Not all that much to look at but extremely tough and easy to find.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 12:40PM
yardenman(z7 MD)

Interesting. I have a 40' hosta bed and 80' of them along a pond raceway, and I've never seen a hummer at any of those flowers. They definately prefer the butterfly bushes and a few other perennials in full sun.

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
Winter Hummingbirds
I put out a hummingbird feeder on November 26th, having...
Breidablik
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™