Biosphere Wildflowers

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady LakeNovember 17, 2012

Back in October, I went to the Wings and Wildflowers festival. One of the things I picked up was a 'donation packet' of wildflower seeds that were 'generously donated' by Biosphere Consulting. On the tag it only says that it is a mix of 'several species of wildflowers that do very well in Florida'. On the sign at the donation tent where I picked it up for my $2 donation was a poster with 8 flower types included in the packet. The only one I have remembered for sure was the Blanketflower. I think Blazing Star might have been one of the others, but that leaves 6 more flowers that I don't know the name of. I have contacted Biosphere about the seed packet, but they don't seem too inclined to respond to my emails. Looking at their site and fliers, I am guessing this is their 'Purist Mix' listed on the order form as it also has 8 types, but I can not find a list of what is contained in this mix.

So... having said all that, I don't suppose anyone else maybe had visited the Wings and Wildflowers Festival and also picked up this packet? Or perhaps has ordered the Purist Mix from Biosphere? I have managed to identify the Blanketflower seeds and separated them from the mix into their own envelope, but I haven't been able to identify the other seeds yet. I did have the bright idea of getting a few of each type to germinate in dixie cups to figure out what each one was, but didn't have a bright enough idea to tape a seed or label on the cups. So even once these grow and bloom, I still won't know what seed they came from :P

Anyways, so there ya go. As always, thank you for any assistance ya'll might be able to give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

Nevermind! I think I found it. At least I found the contents of the Purist Mix.

Black-Eyed Susan
Tickseed
Blanket Flower
Clasping Coneflower
Purple Coneflower
Scarlet Sage
Showy Primrose
Standing Cypress

Now I can try looking up images of seeds of each type to identify what I have. Maybe.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 7:47PM
jason83(Zone 8b/9a (North Florida))

I honestly never gave much thought to the idea of "wildflowers" here in Florida. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any around here, at least not mass plantings of them. Good luck with them! Looks like all of those are heat and drought tolerant-type plants that can withstand just about, well, anything. :)

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:38AM

Yeah, the Purist pack is supposed to be wildflowers that are Native to Florida. I have most of the seeds identified and separated so that I can plant them in clumps rather than mixed together. My wife didn't really understand why I would buy a wildflower mix and then un-mix them. But my though was, $2 for a bag of 8 different wildflowers that reseed themselves year after year? I'll do it!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 9:28AM
irma_stpete_9b

How did those seeds work out?

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 10:31PM
tom123_gw

Yes. Please let us know.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:50AM

Most of those seeds germinated, but I lost an entire flat of the seedlings last summer due to my inexperience. Still, I managed to save the Standing Cypress, a couple of Blanketflowers and a few tickseeds. Oh and lots of salvia. The Primrose and Coneflowers are the only ones I lost completely.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 8:22AM
More Discussions
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™